Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Gardenhead Knows My Name

This is, most likely, my last post before leaving home. I think that this is the third time I have said it, but this time I will be searching my best efforts to keep it true. I feel compelled to enter one more entry after an anonymous letter I received the other day. It was rather heartwarming and flattering. Whether we realize it or not, we are always going to be seeking the approval of others. This is not to say that we are to conform to the synthetic standards that others create for us, but instead we often look for reassurance from others that we are doing the right things in life.

We often choke on our words, and struggle to give people compliments or accolade. It can seem embarrassing or patronizing. I have often felt reluctant to voice certain feelings or thoughts out of timidness or confusion myself. But, it must be seen that we are all humans and all on the same level of awkwardness and inhibition. Fallible and lost. We can sometimes feel more comfortable to go incognito and anonymous behind the nouns that leak from our lips. But why? Why does it almost seem easier to say something negative to someone as opposed to positive?

Saying a certain set of words to someone can make their day. A simple "hello", "you're rad", or "sweet tattoos brah" can go a long long way! However, it is far too often that we bite our tongues out of fear of embarrassment. But we should see it's okay! Good. Positive. These are types of things that create a community as opposed to a land of individuals. Companionship as opposed to isolation.

On that, say something special to a stranger. Subvert; purely by peaceful means. We are structured to be divided, but let's create a place where worlds collide. And perhaps this one will collapse!





I recently found this hanging around my computer. I have had it for awhile, but never really let it out of my grasp. It is a song that is performed by Nino and I at our college. I am on the melodica, and Nino is on guitar/vocals. It is cover of the song Gardenhead by the band Neutral Milk Hotel. It is for you, Gardenhead. Perhaps we shall meet in Firenze.

We recently rescued a new dog from the shelter. His name is Zeus Kokkinis. Pronounce his name properly though (Ze-ohs). He is a golden lab. He is really strong and runs really fast! He smells bad right now because he decided to storm out of the backyard and into the woods. Low and behold: he was skunked.



Finally, I am going to use a separate blog to document everything for this summer's journey. I feel it will be more appropriate to allow this thing to sleep for the summer, and to carry out a whole new record. I will also include a flickr (pending technophobia).

The new blog can be found at http://euzkaditohellas.blogspot.com.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry. I wanted to know, but unfortunately I have not read your message immediately. I will look when you want, but now I do not think there are other possibilities. Good trip, good Greece!

Sylv