Sunday, May 17, 2009

From Green to Gray

I just got back from McMinnville, Oregon this morning. We placed third in the Western Regional, and fell one game short of qualifying for the College World Series. Yet another thing has concluded in my life; that being the 2009 baseball season. I have begun to get used to coping with such losses and changes. Nothing is permanent. Always be ready for it to end because someday it will all come crashing right down.

It is scorching hot here in Claremont, but what's new? Driving here from LAX was quite the eye sore. After seeing such a clear and open sky in Oregon with trees, rivers, and lakes, the Los Angeles smog just seems that much more torturous. I am reminded, however, that this is only to be dealt with for about two more weeks. Then, off to Europe!

This is home?

Today was my last day involved with Pomona Food Not Bombs until I get back from my summer travels. It was a great day! The meal was prepared by Natty, Claire, and I; served by Cameron, Laura, Claire, and I. Although I was very tired from the baseball trip to Oregon after having to wake at 3:00am to come back home, I wouldn't miss this for the world. We shared some great conversation. Many of the people in this country without homes seem to have the most interesting histories. Jesse shared his journal with us. He had many poems and songs written in it that he spoke and sang. Roger told us of his world travels and his tours in the Vietnam War.
It is rather common to have many laughs while sitting down with the homeless as well. They share some funny stories and jokes. One of my favorite was when a man named Goldy stated that there was "nothing in this world that he hadn't seen." Roger replied, "Ever seen a Jewish Parrot?" Pomona Food Not Bombs will be organized through Cameron for the summer. So, if you wish to get involved, contact him!

I am currently packing things up to move out of the dorm. My frogs were thankfully still alive when I got back here. I give mad props to Cristina and Josh for giving them water. I have gotten used to this nomadic lifestyle. But I still disdain packing my things up every time that comes around.

I was going to be heading up to Seattle once again this year for Rainfest. However, I decided to spend my time back here in the area to visit with my family instead. I am grateful to Kevan and 7 Generations for offering me a ride up there in their van.

Check out the new Punch-S/T LP.
Also, these are some incredible cuts from Joy Division that I came across the other night. One is an earlier release from the Warsaw days. The other is a live bootleg from a set in Amsterdam 1980. This is my favorite band ever so enjoy!


Next post will most likely be from somewhere in Spain. Unless I fall in love some time between now and then, but that is highly unlikely.





0 comments: